Division of Inspections, Emergency Management & Enforcement
Inspection of facilities and radiation sources and enforcement of non-compliances are carried out under the Director (Inspection and Enforcement). Present Director (Inspection and Enforcement) is Mr. Kapila De Silva who has more than 20 years' experience in inspection of Industrial and Medical facilities. Inspection of facilities and radiation sources in Industrial applications and taking legal actions for non-compliance is carried out by Mr. K.K.P.I.K. Kadadunna, Deputy Director (Inspection-Industrial Application and Enforcement) who has more than 17 years' experience in inspection of Industrial facilities. Inspection of facilities and radiation sources in Medical applications is carried out by Mr. K.N.R. Fernando, Deputy Director (Inspection-Medical Application) who has more than 17 years’ experience in inspection of medical facilities.
Division is responsible for following actions
- Conducting safety and security inspections of licenced facilities. 250 facilities are inspected annually.
- Assisting facilities with category 1 and category 2 radioactive sources to establish security measures to ensure physical protection of the radioactive sources.
- Taking legal measures for violations of the laws and regulations
- Implementation of a National Radiological Emergency Response plan in collaboration with the National Disaster Management Centre.
- Implementation of the national policy on radioactive waste management
- Meeting the national obligations with regard to international conventions Sri Lanka has entered into regarding nuclear safety, security and safeguards.
- Functioning as the national contact point for IAEA programmes on nuclear safety and security
- Conducting seminars and training programmes for radiation protection officers and other personnel
- Providing information to the public